Kern Alexander is Professor of Banking and Financial Market Regulation at the University of Zurich and is Senior Research Fellow in Financial Regulation at the Centre for Risk Studies, University of Cambridge. He is a lawyer and economist with a research focus on the regulation of systemic risk in financial markets. His academic publications include co-author of the first book to analyse critically the international and European regulation of systemic risk in financial markets (Global Governance of Financial Systems (OUP 2006) with Dhumale and Eatwell). He is also the author of Economic Sanctions: Law and Public Policy (Macmillan, 2009) providing a comprehensive analysis of the regulatory and governance aspects of economic and financial sanctions. He has written extensively on UK market abuse and insider law and regulation, and is co-editor of the Research Handbook on International Financial Regulation (Elgar, 2012 with Dhumale) and co-editor with N. Moloney of Law Reform and Financial Markets (2011, Elgar).
He has authored many academic articles on EU and UK banking law and regulation.
In addition, he has authored or co-authored twelve commissioned reports for the European Parliament on EU financial regulation and the Eurozone sovereign debt crisis. He was a Member of the Expert Panel on Financial Services for the European Parliament (2009-2014). He was Specialist Advisor to the British Parliament's Joint Select Committee on the Financial Services 2012 (2011-2012).
- Forthcoming publication: K Alexander et al (2018), 'Brexit and Financial Services'
- Forthcoming publication: K. Alexander (2018), 'Principles of Banking Regulation'
- K. Alexander (2015), 'Regulating the Structure of the EU Banking Sector', European Business Organisation Law Review, forthcoming Regulating the Structure of the EU Banking Sector (PDF, 1976 KB)
- K. Alexander (2015), 'Tort Liability for Ratings of Structured Securities under English Law', ICCLJ Vol. 11 (2), 26-40. Tort Liability for Ratings of Structured Securities under English Law (PDF, 1647 KB)
- K. Alexander (2015) 'European Banking Union: A Legal and Institutional Analysis of the Single Supervisory Mechanism and the Single Resolution Mechanism', European Law Review, 40(2), 154-187. European Banking Union E.L. Rev. (PDF, 453 KB)
- K. Alexander (2014) 'The ECB and Banking Supervision: Building Effective Prudential Supervision?', Yearbook of European Law, 33(1), 417-432.
- K. Alexander (2014) 'The Risk of Ratings in Bank Capital Regulation', European Business Law Review 25(2) 295-313. Risk of Ratings EBLR (PDF, 653 KB)
- K. Alexander (2013) 'The Law of Insider Dealing - A Tale of Two Jurisdictions' (PDF, 37535 KB), European Journal of Comparative Law (112) 262-292.
- K. Alexander (2013) 'Bank resolution and recovery in the EU: enhancing banking union?', Journal of the European Law Academy (ERA Forum) 2013 (3) 1-13.
- K. Alexander (2012) 'Bank Capital Management and Macro-Prudential Regulation' (PDF, 24845 KB), Journal of Banking Law and Banking (JBB) 24 (5) 331-341.
Latest Publications in SAS-Space for Kern
- Alexander, Kern (2002) Why auditors and public companies need international regulation. Amicus Curiae, 2002 (42). p. 1.
- Alexander, Kern (2002) US elections may pose challenge for Bush agenda. Amicus Curiae, 2002 (44). pp. 31-32.
- Alexander, Kern (2012) Practical implementation of CRD III remuneration rules in the UK - issues and results. UNSPECIFIED. European Parliament, Strasbourg.
- Alexander, Kern (2005) Evidence obtained by torture. Amicus Curiae, 2005 (62). pp. 1-2. ISSN 1461-2097
- Alexander, Kern (2010) Reforming European financial supervision and the role of EU institutions. Amicus Curiae, 2010 (82). pp. 2-11. ISSN 1461-2097