The IALS Library is the national research library for law.
Current academic staff and postgraduate research students (PhD, MPhil) from any university* can join the IALS Library free of charge: -
- From University of London on proof of registration (eg current student card)
- From other universities with a letter of introduction from their tutor or department administrator (for each academic year), confirming current registration
Postgraduate taught-course students (e.g. LLM students) are not normally admitted, except those registered at the following University of London Colleges under a current arrangement with IALS: Birkbeck College, King’s College London, London School of Economics, Queen Mary University of London, School of Oriental and African Studies, University College London)
- Application form for academic staff (law teachers or research staff)
- Application form for postgraduate students
- Download our leaflet on Library Admissions, Fees and Services Charges (PDF)
Non-University researchers with legal training are admitted on payment of a fee
Please check with the Library Administrative Office if you need any further information on membership status
* A recognised university, UK college of higher education or academic research institute should be a “not for profit” institution.