Westlaw UK is on online service providing legal materials relating to the the UK and the European Union. Australian, Canadian, US, international and other materials are also available, via the "International Materials" link from the "Services" menu on the UK homepage.
Westlaw is available onsite to all academic members of the Library. Remote access is only available to those based at IALS; other members should check with their own college or university library about offsite access.
- primary and secondary legislation in force (including Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament legislation); historic consolidated legislation
- cases, including The Law Reports and the Weekly Law Reports, plus a case citator
- More than 80 journals in full text
- Legal Journals Index - index to articles from about 1000 legal journals, with abstracts
- legislation; cases; international agreements; COM documents; other EU official publications
- cases and other materials from international courts and organisations
- federal and some state cases
- two journals
- a few textbooks
- federal and provincial legislation and cases, with KeyCite Canada citators
- Canadian Encyclopedic Digest
- federal and state legislation and cases; treaties
- textbooks and encyclopedias, including Corpus Juris Secundum
- very large collection of journals
- a few resources from Mexico, Hong Kong, China, New Zealand, Indonesia, the Cayman Islands, Bermuda and some European countries
UK and EU: There is a basic search facility on the Westlaw UK home page, but more sophisticated search facilities are offered by the Cases, Legislation, Journals, EU and other pages.
Non-UK, non-EU: use the Services menu on the Westlaw UK home page and click on "International Materials". For US content, select 'All Content' at the top, or click on the Westlaw Next logo to display a browse page for US publications. For ICJ cases and a few other international law collections, use the International Materials Index on the right of the International Materials page. To search by citation, use Advanced Search (if it is a US citation, select All Content at the top before you search).
Printing, saving and emailing
Once you have done a search, you can save, print or email the results using the icons towards the top right-hand corner of the screen.
Detailed help files are available throughout the database via the "Help" link in the top right-hand corner. Westlaw UK also has substantial context-specific help pages, e.g. "Legislation Help and Coverage" on the Legislation screen.
Online tutorials are also provided by Thomson Reuters for Westlaw UK and Westlaw International Materials.