The Sir William Dale Centre for Legislative Studies specialises in teaching and research in the field of legislative drafting and law reform.
The Centre plays an immensely important role in the development of legislative drafting as an academic discipline worthy of specialised study. It seeks to spread the Sir William Dale ideas for simple, precise and accurate legislative texts which are accessible to lawyers and non-lawyers alike in all jurisdictions.
LLM in Advanced Legislative Studies
LLM in Advanced Legislative Studies via distance learning
There are very few placed around the world offering the opportunity to study Legislative Drafting. The LLM in Advanced Legislative Studies has been offered by the IALS with considerable success since 2004. Students will now have the opportunity to study this course in a more flexible manner, via distance learning
Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters' Degree in Parliamentary Procedures and Legislative Drafting
A brand new and exciting masters' programme, jointly produced by the IALS (UoL), Luiss Guido Carli University (Rome) and Complutense University (Madrid)
Professional Course in Legislative Drafting
The Legislative Drafting Course was directed by Sir William Dale until 1999. Since 2016 the Course Director is Dr Constantin Stefanou, the Director of the Centre and Director of Taught Programmes, University of London. The Course is taught by prominent members of the drafting and academic professions over a period of four weeks of intensive daily lectures and tutorials/seminars.
FCO Legislative Drafting Courses for Indian drafters and Parliamentarians
Legislative Drafting Clinic
We invite governments and NGOs, whose limited resources do not allow them to seek assistance from professional drafters, to use the free services of the Sir William Dale Legislative Drafting Clinic.
Services of the Clinic
- Drafting legislation, including Private Members' Bills
- Drafting amendments to Bills
- Advising on draft legislation
- Advising on alternative legislative proposals
- Undertaking pre and post legislative scrutiny
Legislative Drafters' International Online Forum
Legislative Drafters is an online forum for the international drafting community established by the IALS.
Urban law in Cooperation with UNDP
A PhD scholarship and research in the field of Urban Law.
On the Move (EU Funded Project)
A project about Youth movement within the EU.
Law and Language Seminars
Now in their 4th year these international seminars are becoming a feature of the Centre.
Sir William Dale Memorial Lecture
Prestigious speakers from the UK and abroad explore the latest developments on issues related to legislative drafting.
- Professor Helen Xanthaki (UCL)
- Sir Geoffrey Bowman KCB QC
- Sir Stephen Laws KBC QC
- Professor Wim Voermans (Leiden University)
- Professor Maria De Benedetto (Roma Tre University)
- Professor Mauro Zamboni (University of Stockholm)
- Dr Enrico Albanesi (University of Genova)
- Dr Maria Gavouneli (Athens University)
- Dr Mazhar Ilahi (IALS Fellow)
- Dr Guilia Adriana Pennisi (Palermo University)
- Mrs Hayley Rogers (Parliamentary Counsel)
- Mrs Lydia Clapinska (Parliamentary Counsel)
- Mr Daniel Greenberg (Statute Law Review)
- Mr William Robinson (IALS Fellow)
- Mr Jonathan Teasdale (IALS Fellow)