IALS research events
IALS organises and hosts a full programme of events through the year. IALS events include: Conferences, Workshops and Symposia; Public Lectures and Seminars; Training Days and Training Events. Many of our events are free and open to all.
PhD Master Classes
Research student-led PhD Masterclasses provide a regular opportunity to discuss PhD research with peers (fellow doctoral researchers), with expert input from senior academics experienced in different areas of legal scholarship and in supervising doctoral research.
School of Advanced Study
IALS is part of the School of Advanced Study (SAS) at the University of London, which brings together nine internationally renowned research institutes to form the UK's national centre for the support of researchers and the promotion of research in the humanities. The School:
- Provides a research base for an international community of scholars
- Inspires, develops, and supports innovative research initiatives and networks
- Enhances the dissemination of the research of others, and related activities, beyond what they or their institutions could achieve alone
- Provides specialist research training at master's, doctoral, and postdoctoral levels - locally, nationally, and internationally
IALS research students take part in the scholarly activities and research community within the other SAS institutes, such as:
- the Cities@SAS research group and the Cities in Theory reading group – an initiative which aims to promote and facilitate new and interdisciplinary work on cities
- the annual Being Human Festival, a national forum for public engagement with humanities research, featuring hundreds of events organised by over 70 universities and research organisations in 36 towns and cities across the UK
- the annual Human Rights Research Students' Conference, organised by the Human Rights Consortium (HRC) of the School of Advanced Study, for students working within the broad interdisciplinary field of human rights and social justice, to stimulate research on contemporary human rights issues, problems, challenges and policies