The Policy Group of the Project ‘Building on the European Case Law Identifier' has published a report on On-line Publication of Court Decisions in the EU.
‘On-line Publication of Court Decisions in the EU’:
Report of the Policy Group of the Project ‘Building on the European Case Law Identifier’ 15 February 2017
Marc van Opijnen, Ginevra Peruginelli, Eleni Kefali, Monica Palmirani
This 178-page report is the first deliverable for ‘objective 5’; it contains a comprehensive study on the policies and practices regarding the publication of court decisions within all 28 EU Member States and three European courts, with a focus on legal framework and dissemination practices, data protection and Open Data. The table of contents and the summary give a helpful overview of its structure and coverage.
‘Building on the European Case Law Identifier’ (BO-ECLI) is an EU co-funded project, constituted by sixteen partners from ten EU Member States. It started in October 2015 and runs for a maximum of two years.
It has five major objectives:
- An initial or continued implementation of the European Case Law Identifier within eight EU Member States (Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium, Greece, Italy, Croatia, Estonia and the Netherlands);
- The assesment of the current use of the standard, its alignment with other semantic web standards and the development of ECLI 2.0;
- The development of Open Source software for legal reference parsing;
- Spreading the word about ECLI within legal and technical communities;
- A comparative study on the publication of court decisions within the EU and the drafting of recommendations thereon.
A website at: http://www.bo-ecli.eu has been developed to describe the aims of the project and disseminate the deliverables of the project.
BO-ECLI: European Case Law Identifier www.bo-ecli.eu
On the website you can find:
- An introductory video on ECLI: https://youtu.be/nf4JlZJ-n9E. See how the project aims to broaden the use of ECLI and to further improve the accessibility of case law.
- A map on the current implementation of ECLI within Europe: http://bo-ecli.eu/ecli/current-implementation
- The analysis report on linking data for the reference parsing software: http://bo-ecli.eu/uploads/deliverables/DeliverableWS2-D1.pdf
- The analysis report for the requirements of ECLI 2.0: http://bo-ecli.eu/uploads/deliverables/DeliverableWS3-D2.pdf