Professor Stychin is best known for his research on law, gender and sexuality, and he has published three monographs, co-edited three collections, and published numerous articles in the field. In addition, he has longstanding interests in tort law and in law and popular culture. He edited a student 'text and materials' collection (four editions, the last three of which were co-edited with Professor Linda Mulcahy) on Legal Methods and Systems. He remains the editor of Social & Legal Studies: An International Journal, a position which he has held for many years.
In 2014, Professor Stychin was made a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in recognition of his contribution to the socio-legal study of gender and sexuality. In 2015, he was elected to the Executive of the Committee of Heads of UK Law Schools (CHULS), the representative body for UK law schools and their management. In 2017, he was appointed Vice-Chair and, in 2018, he became the Chair of CHULS.
- Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences
- Lay Council Member, General Chiropractic Council (Privy Council appointment)
- Non-Executive Member, Board of Governance, Nelson College London
- Chair of the Executive, Committee of Heads of UK Law Schools
- Non-Executive Lay Member, Lifelong Learning Board, Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
- Non-Executive Director, NHS Counter Fraud Authority
- Education Associate, General Dental Council
- Lay Educational Visitor, General Optical Council