Law Librarianship, Legal Information Provision, Legal Bibliography
From January 2019: Chief Executive Officer, British and Irish Legal Information Institute (BAILII) www.bailii.org
Jules Winterton was Director and Librarian of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS), School of Advanced Study, University of London from 2013-18. He became IALS Librarian of the IALS in 1991 and was Acting Director 2003-04 and 2012-13. Before working at IALS he worked at the Institute of Classical Studies and at Queen Mary University of London.
He was President of the British and Irish Association of Law Librarians (BIALL) in 1994/95 and President of the International Association of Law Libraries (IALL) from 2004-2010 responsible for international conferences in Florence, Mumbai, St. Petersburg, Puerto Rico, Istanbul and The Hague. He received the Wildy BIALL Law Librarian of the Year Award in 2010. He is an honorary Life Member of both associations.
He has been a visiting research fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law in Hamburg and at the University of Florence. He was a Trustee of the British and Irish Legal Information Institute which is based at the IALS from its start in the UK in 2000 until this year, a Director of the LLMC Digital consortium in the US on two occasions, most recently 2015-2018, and is a member of the Board of the Ghana Institute of Advanced Legal Studies. He is Convenor of the Libraries Committee of the Society of Legal Scholars which is responsible for A Statement of Standards for University Law Library Provision in the United Kingdom.
He was co-editor with Professor Richard Danner of the IALL International Handbook of Legal Information Management which won the Joseph L Andrews Bibliographical Award from the American Association of Law Libraries in 2012 and co-editor with Elizabeth Moys of Information Sources in Law 2nd edition in 1997 which won the Wallace Breem Memorial Award from Inner Temple and the British and Irish Association of Law Librarians.
- Law Libraries and their Users. In Handbook of Legal Information Management edited by L. Worley. CUP, 2014
- Virtual legal collections - breaking local and national boundaries. Australian Law Librarian vol.11, no.1, 2003
Latest Publications in SAS-Space for Jules
- Winterton, Jules (2014) Law libraries and their users. In: BIALL Handbook of Legal Information Management 2nd edn. Ashgate, Farnham, pp. 1-52. ISBN 9781409423966
- Winterton, Jules (2016) Online Access to Legal Doctrine. In: l'accesso e la ricerca di dottrina giuridica: nuove prospettive. Giappichelli. (In Press)
- Winterton, Jules and Sherr, Avrom and Stefanou, Constantin and Editorial Board, ISLRev (2013) Welcome to the IALS Student Law Review. IALS Student Law Review, 1 (1).
- Winterton, Jules (1998) IALS Library: Funding Cooperation Among University Libraries. In: AALL / BIALL / CALL Joint Study Institute 1998, 7-10 September 1998, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England. (Unpublished)
- Winterton, Jules (2011) Globalization, Law Schools and Law Libraries. In: Chinese and American Forum on Legal Information and Law Libraries (CAFLL) Conference, 22-23 July 2011, City of Philadelphia, PA, USA. (Unpublished)
- Winterton, Jules Archival Resources of IALS 2011. [Guide or manual] (Unpublished)
- Boeg, Nigel and Winterton, Jules (1999) The Commonwealth Law Library. Amicus Curiae, 1999 (13). pp. 20-21.
- Winterton, Jules (2003) Financial Planning and Management. In: BIALL 34th Annual Study Conference Pre-conference Seminar, Friday 13th June 2003, Cardiff. (Unpublished)
- Winterton, Jules (2002) Creating the Virtual Library. In: Visible Justice: Evolving Access to the Law. NZLLG Conference 2002, September 2002, Te Papa, Wellington, New Zealand. (Unpublished)
- Winterton, Jules (2009) Law Library Associations. In: China-United States Conference on Legal Information and Law Libraries. Beijing, 27-30 May 2009. Workshop on Profession Organisations, Thursday 28 May 2009, Beijing. (Unpublished)
- Winterton, Jules (2010) Open Access – Free Access to Primary Legal Materials. In: IFLA 2010 session 96 Creating an International Legal Information Policy Agenda, 10-15 August 2010, Gothenburg, Sweden. (Unpublished)
- Winterton, Jules (2011) Globalization and Legal Information Management. In: IALL international handbook of legal information management. Ashgate, Farnham, pp. 23-41. ISBN 9780754674771
- Winterton, Jules (2003) Virtual Legal Collections – breaking local and national boundaries. Australian Law Librarian, 11 (1). pp. 30-50. ISSN 1039-6616
- Winterton, Jules (2003) In Celebration of Willi Steiner. Legal Information Management, vol.3 (no.3-4). pp. 140-149. ISSN 1472-6696
- Winterton, Jules (2006) Law libraries and their users. In: BIALL Handbook of Legal Information Management. Ashgate.
- Winterton, Jules (2005) Career in law librarianship: in memory of Gillian Sands. Legal Information Management, 5 (3). pp. 148-151. ISSN 1472-6696
- Winterton, Jules (2006) Globalisation and Law Libraries - trends and challenges. In: Organisation of South African Law Libraries (OSALL) Annual Meeting.
- Winterton, Jules (2004) Way of ignorance. AALL Spectrum: the American Association of Law Libraries magazine, 8 (6). pp. 1-4. ISSN 1089-8689
- Winterton, Jules (2009) On Starfish Island: the Philippine Group of Law Librarians Seminar of April 2008. Legal Information Management, 9 (1). pp. 57-61.
- Winterton, Jules (2007) Muriel Anderson: an appreciation. Legal Information Management, 7 (1). pp. 4-8.
- Winterton, Jules (2007) Legal Information on the Web - can we trust the official version? In: Organisation of South African Law Libraries (OSALL) Annual Meeting, 17 August 2007.
- Winterton, Jules (2004) Unwrapping crocodiles. Legal Information Management . ISSN 1472-6696
- Winterton, Jules (2000) A. W. Brian Simpson: a bibliography. In: Human Rights and Legal History: essays in honour of Brian Simpson. Oxford University Press.
- Winterton, Jules (1999) European Collections of the Library of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies. In: Law at the Centre: the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies at Fifty. Kluwer Law. ISBN 9041197044