Kern Alexander is Professor of Banking Regulation at the University of Zurich and is a Senior Research Fellow in Financial Regulation at the Centre for Risk Studies, Cambridge Judge Business School. He is the author of many research articles and several books, including Principles of Banking Regulation (Cambridge University Press, 2018), Brexit and Financial Service (co-author, Moloney et al, Bloomsbury, 2018) Global Governance of Financial Systems (with Eatwell/Dhumale, Oxford Univ Press 2006), and Economic Sanctions: Law and Public Policy (Macmillan 2009). He has authored many academic articles on international, EU and UK banking law and regulation. His recent articles have been published in the European Business Organisation Review, European Law Review and Journal of International Economic Law.
He authored or co-authored twelve highly regarded reports (2007-2012) for the European Parliament on the regulation and supervision of the European banking and financial system and on Eurozone sovereign debt crisis. He was a Member of the European Parliament’s Expert Panel on Financial Services (2009-2014) and was the Specialist Adviser to British Parliament’s Joint Select Committee on the Financial Services Act 2012. He has authored two recent reports for the United Nations and the G20 on ‘Banking Regulation and Environmental Sustainability’ and ‘Green Banking’. He has given oral and written evidence on many occasions to the House of Commons Treasury Committee and to the House of Lords Committee on Economic Affairs on UK banking regulation, EU banking regulation and economic sanctions. He gave oral and written evidence on the European Banking Union proposals to the House of Lords Europe Committee (Subcommittee A) (Sept 2012) and on the review of the European Supervisory Authorities (July 2014). His evidence is cited extensively in these Parliamentary reports.
He comments for the BBC on UK and European banking regulation issues. http://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-18873184/a-quick-guide-to-new-bank-regulation
He is a Member of the Bar and was an adviser to the UK Serious Fraud Office on the Libor rate-rigging investigations and prosecutions.
- K Alexander et al (2018), 'Brexit and Financial Services'
- K. Alexander (2018), 'Principles of Banking Regulation'
- K. Alexander (2015), 'Regulating the Structure of the EU Banking Sector', European Business Organisation Law Review, forthcoming Regulating the Structure of the EU Banking Sector (PDF, 1976 KB)
- K. Alexander (2015), 'Tort Liability for Ratings of Structured Securities under English Law', ICCLJ Vol. 11 (2), 26-40. Tort Liability for Ratings of Structured Securities under English Law (PDF, 1647 KB)
- K. Alexander (2015) 'European Banking Union: A Legal and Institutional Analysis of the Single Supervisory Mechanism and the Single Resolution Mechanism', European Law Review, 40(2), 154-187. European Banking Union E.L. Rev. (PDF, 453 KB)
- K. Alexander (2014) 'The ECB and Banking Supervision: Building Effective Prudential Supervision?', Yearbook of European Law, 33(1), 417-432.
- K. Alexander (2014) 'The Risk of Ratings in Bank Capital Regulation', European Business Law Review 25(2) 295-313. Risk of Ratings EBLR (PDF, 653 KB)
- K. Alexander (2013) 'The Law of Insider Dealing - A Tale of Two Jurisdictions' (PDF, 37535 KB), European Journal of Comparative Law (112) 262-292.
- K. Alexander (2013) 'Bank resolution and recovery in the EU: enhancing banking union?', Journal of the European Law Academy (ERA Forum) 2013 (3) 1-13.
- K. Alexander (2012) 'Bank Capital Management and Macro-Prudential Regulation' (PDF, 24845 KB), Journal of Banking Law and Banking (JBB) 24 (5) 331-341.
Latest Publications in SAS-Space for Kern
- Alexander, Kern (2002) Why auditors and public companies need international regulation. Amicus Curiae, 2002 (42). p. 1.
- Alexander, Kern (2002) US elections may pose challenge for Bush agenda. Amicus Curiae, 2002 (44). pp. 31-32.
- Alexander, Kern (2012) Practical implementation of CRD III remuneration rules in the UK - issues and results. UNSPECIFIED. European Parliament, Strasbourg.
- Alexander, Kern (2005) Evidence obtained by torture. Amicus Curiae, 2005 (62). pp. 1-2. ISSN 1461-2097
- Alexander, Kern (2010) Reforming European financial supervision and the role of EU institutions. Amicus Curiae, 2010 (82). pp. 2-11. ISSN 1461-2097