LLB (Faculty of Law, University of Athens); LLM (Institute of Social Law, Katholieke University of Leuven, Belgium); PhD (IALS, University of London)
Legislative effectiveness; Legislative quality and legislative drafting; Better Regulation policies; legislative evaluation; Equality and non-discrimination Law; EU Law; EU and national law.
- I have experience in initiating and leading multi-partner research projects, coordinating and conducting legal and socio-legal research, organising workshops and producing working papers and articles.
- I am in charge of coordinating the Urban Law Initiative, a research cooperation between the IALS and UN-Habitat for improving the quality of urban legislation.
- I am coordinating the Sir William Dale Legislative Drafting Clinic that offers pro bono legislative drafting assistance to governments and NGOs with limited resources.
- I participate as Evaluator or Vice Chair in research evaluation panels established by the Research Executive Agency of the European Commission.
- I am the Secretary of the Board of the International Association of Legislation. The IAL is a charitable association. Its main purpose is to improve legislation in the world, their constituent parts and their dependencies. (http://www.ial-online.org)
ON GOING PROJECTS (indicative)
- Online training programme in Lawmaking for the Myanmar Parliament (IALS- WDF, 8-12/2020)
- Online training programme on Post-Legislative Scrutiny for staff and members of the Armenian Parliament (6-7/2020, WFD & UNDP Armenia)
- Consultancy : drafting 4 papers on Gender-sensitive Post- Legislative Scrutiny, Gender –sensitive post- legislative scrutiny of general legislation, gender-sensitive post-legislative scrutiny of gender-specific legislation and Gender-sensitive data collection (3/2010-5/2010, Westminster Foundation for Democracy)
- Expert Consultant on Law-making and legislative drafting. Task: to contribute to the Manual on Law-Making required by Law 4622/2019 for the General Secretariat of Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs of the Presidency of the Government (10-12/2019, Expertise France, Greece)
- Expert Consultant of Legislative Drafting – Planning Legislation (MOMRA, Saudi Arabia (SALFO SA, 2019-2020)
- Expert Consultant for the Drafting of the Law on Supported Decision Making for People with Disabilities (2018-2020, Ministry of Social Affairs, Cyprus)
- ENABLE – Enabling dematerialised access to information and assets for judicial enforcement of claims in the EU (EU, DG Justice)/The project aims to explore e-justice solutions for dematerialized exchanges and pragmatic conditions for secure access to and exchange of information for enforcement in the EU MS/Researcher (1/2017-12/2019, EU/CECL)
- JUDGING THE CHARTER (EU, DG Justice)/ The project aims to increase competencies of judges and other legal professionals in relation to the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, in particular at sharing knowledge, how judiciary and academia are interpreting crucial questions relating to the applicability of the Charter and the rights and principles enshrined by the Charter/Researcher ((09/2016- 08/2018, IT, PL, GR, HR, AT)
- TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE TO THE ADMINISTRATIVE SIMPLIFICATION IN SELECTED MINISTRIES IN LEBANON (Ministries of Social Affairs, Tourism, Public health and Industry) / Senior Expert on Legal Drafting Guidelines and Training/ The purpose of the project is to improve the responsiveness of the administration to the demands of the general public and business community buy simplifying/reengineering administrative procedurs and business processes making maximum use of information and communications technology in four target ministries/ July – December 2016
- THE PRACTICE OF PRE-TRIAL DETENTION - Monitoring Alternatives and Judicial Decision-Making / The project aims to inform future initiatives to reduce the unnecessary use of pre-trial detention (PTD) within the EU through a unique evidence-base on PTD practice, good regional practice in 10 EU countries and dissemination of the findings among policy-makers, judges, prosecutors and defense lawyers (European Commission – DG Justice, June 2014 – May 2016). FINDINGS accessible at: https://www.cecl.gr/en/category-projects/technical-assistance/2014/10/10/the-practice-of-pre-trial-detention-monitoring-alternatives-and-judicial-decision-making/
- https://www.fairtrials.org/press/update-on-fair-trials-pre-trial-detention-project/ Centre for European Constitutional Law: http://www.cecl2.gr/index.php/en/
- ON THE MOVE - The reality of free movement for young European citizens migrating in times of crisis (EC, DG Justice)/ The project records drivers and barriers that interfere or enable the right of young people to move freely in the EU / Lead Researcher coordinating research at national and transnational level (http://www.cecl2.gr/index.php/en/projects/research/518-on-the-move-the-reality-of-free-movement-for-young-european-citizens-migrating-in-times-of-crisis; https://www.facebook.com/onthemoveProject/?fref=ts)
- EXPERIENCE CRIME- Increasing the capacity of law enforcement authorities to tackle racist crime, hate crime and homophobic crime through experiential learning”/ Expert on developing experiential learning methodology and training material” (EC, DG Justice) / The project develops an innovative model of experiential learning targeted to the needs of law enforcement authorities (police officers, judges/prosecutors and legal practitioners) that deal with racist crime, hate crime and homophobic crime/ Role: Lead Expert (Hate Crime: EU)
- VICT- Developing directive-compatible practices for the identification, assessment and referral of victims (EC, DG Justice-Rights, Equality and Citizenship Programme 2014-2020) / Role: Lead Expert
- ADPOLIS - Antidiscrimination policies successfully implemented (EC, DG Justice-Rights, Equality and Citizenship Programme 2014-2020) Role: Expert
- EFESE- European Format for Exchange of Social Security Education (EC, Erasmus+) / The project develops a joint format for virtual course exchange, to create a joint curriculum and to broaden academic and professional networks in social security/ Role: Expert
COMPLETED PROJECTS & CONSULTANCIES (indicative)
- Improving the Improving the Afghan Legislative Process II / Trainer in Legislative Drafting/ The project aims at improving the quality of Afghan legislation by strengthening the ability and capacity of state institutions to draft appropriate, coherent and executable laws that conform to the Afghan constitution as well as to international law. In order to achieve this goal, the Max Planck Foundation is building the capacity of the main institutions involved in drafting, passing and enacting legislation in Afghanistan. These include the legislative (taqneen) departments the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and of line ministries/ May- October 2016
- Improving the Afghan Legislative Process
Improving the Afghan Legislative Process II. Well drafted laws in compliance with the constitution are a key element for a coherent legal order in any country.
- “Better Regulation” in Afghanistan. The Max Planck Foundation in cooperation with the Hamida Barmaki Organization conducted three workshops on “Better Regulation” in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Training legislative drafters in Afghanistan on Better Regulation (May 2016)
- Evaluation of the UN-Habitat Program “Participatory review of Egyptian planning and related urban development legislation to support sustainable urban development” (Egypt, UNDP/UN-HABITAT)
- “Reforming Policy Coordination and the Centre of Government” (Serbia, EuropeAid)/ Expert on best practices on dialogue and consultation between Parliament and Government
- “Consultancy Services on Developing a medium term strategy/program for continuing legal education offered by the School of Advocates of the Republic of Armenia” (World Bank)/Role: Team Leader
- ‘Protecting Victims’ Rights in the EU: the theory and practice of diversity of treatment during the criminal trial’ (EC, DG Justice)/ Role: Member of the academic team
- ‘Gender impact assessment in 100 legislative and regulatory provisions’ (Greece, General Secretariat of Gender Equality, NSF 2007-2013)/Team Leader
- Codification of the legislation on gender equality’ (Greece, General Secretariat of Gender Equality NSF 2007-2013)/
- “Strengthening Capacities of the National Assembly in the EU integration process”, (Serbia, Twinning Project)/ The project aimed to increase efficiency, liability and transparency of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia in the EU integration process/ Role: Legal expert in Component I: Strengthening cooperation between the National Assembly and the Government in the law-making process. Tasks included conducting interviews and consultations with main stakeholders to map existing cooperation practices in law making, conduct comparative analysis and formulate practical policy recommendations for strengthening cooperation between the Government and the NARS.
- JUDICIAL MODERNISATION PROJECT – “Technical assistance to strengthen the Judicial-Legal Council” (Azerbaijan, World Bank)/ The project aimed to assist the Judicial Legal Council through a set of recommendations based on best European and international practice for strengthening its capacity in the areas of selection of judges, evaluation of judges’ activity, promotion and disciplinary proceedings /Role: Team Leader
- BESP - “Business environment simplification programme –” (Syrian Arab Republic, EuropeAid) / The project aimed to improve the quality of business related legislation through Regulatory Impact Assessment, consultation and improved legislative drafting /Role: Expert
CONFERENCES, WORKSHOPS AND MEETINGS (indicative)
- European Institute of Social Security, Response to COVID-19 in Social Security, 25/9/2020, online
- IALS/WFD Digital Conference: Are emergency measures in response to COVID-19 a threat to democracy? Fact and Fiction, 1-/9/2020, IALS (online)
- Urban Law Day 2020, IALS-UN Habitat (online), Urban Law Day 2020 Online - The post-COVID City: lessons for the future in law and development, 10/7/2020 (Report available)
- Urban Law Day 2019, IALS-UN-Habitat, Smart Cities - an emerging legal challenge, 12/7/2020, London (Report available)
- Commonwealth Association of Legislative Counsel, Conference - ‘Change and continuity in legislative drafting’, Livingstone, Zambia, 1-3 April 2019, Paper: Teaching Legislative Drafting between theory, innovation and practice
- Saudi Urban Forum, October 2018. Presentation: Principal Indicators of Legislative Effectiveness
- IAL Annual Conference, Antwerp, Lawmaking in Multi-level Settings: Federalism, Europe, and Beyond, 20-21 September 2018
- 2017 KLRI-IAL International Conference, June 28 - 29, 2017, Paper on ‘Evaluation as a real life measure of effective legislation’
- 4th Annual International & Comparative Urban Law Conference on 'Law and the New Urban Agenda', Cape Town, South Africa, July 2017, paper on ‘Law, human rights and the New Urban Agenda: pure rhetoric or an opportunity for legislative reform?
- Commonwealth Association of Legislative Counsel Biannual Conference, Melbourne Australia, March 2017, paper: ‘Drafting with the end in mind’
- La Trobe University, Centre for Legislation, Its Interpretation and Drafting, Symposium on Teaching Legislation, October 2017, Paper on ‘A new ‘phronetic’ approach to teaching legislative drafting: at the intersection between theory, creativity and practice’
- World Urban Forum, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Training seminar on Drafting Legislation
- Urban Law Day 2018, IALS – UN -Habitat, London
- Urban Law Day 2017, IALS – UN -Habitat
- Urban Law Day 2016, IALS –UN –Habitat, planned for July 2017
- Urban Law Day 2015, “Effective Legal Frameworks as a Tool for Sustainable Urban Development”, IALS –UN –Habitat, 06/7/ 2015
- Urban Thinkers Campus México: Legal course towards Habitat III, Mexico City, 17/11/2015 - 20/11/2015, https://unhabitat.org/urban-thinkers-campus-mexico-legal-course-towards-habitat-iii
- UN-Habitat Office in Spain, Expert Group Meeting: “Towards Effective National Urban Policies: Lessons from Current Practice”, Madrid, March 17- 18 2015
- Conference “On the Road towards a EU criminal justice system: state of the journey at 2015. Achievements, roadblocks and prospects”, 21st and 22nd May 2015, Centre for Criminal Justice, University of Limerick,http://www.ul.ie/artsoc/content/international-conference-eu-criminal-justice
- Urban Law Day 2014, ‘Urban development and the law: setting a research agenda, IALS –UN –Habitat, 14/3/2014
- Conference “Victims and Vulnerable Witnesses: Time for the UK to play catch with Europe or vice versa?” ECLA-IALS, 8/12/2014, http://www.eucriminallaw.com/newsevents/2014/10/16/victims-and-vulnerable-witnesses-time-for-the-uk-to-play-cat.html
- World Bank Law and Development Week 2013, Washington 19-24 November 2013, presentation of paper on ‘Quality of legislation and how to achieve it’ in a Workshop hosted by UN Habitat on ‘Practicable and Enforceable Urban Law for Improved Development Delivery’
- Conference “Awareness and Dialogue on legal capacity and the equal recognition before the law based on the UN Convention on the Rights of people with Disabilities” organised by the Equality Ombudsman, Cyprus, 5 December 2015
- National Confederation of People with Disabilities, Conference “Social Protection – social welfare and people with disabilities in the light of the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities and the financial crisis”, Athens, 24-25 November 2014.
- General Secretariat for Gender Equality, Conference ‘Gender and the Law: problems, challenges, perspectives’, Athens 11 December 2013, presentation titled: ‘Gender in Greek legislation: presentation of research findings’
- Conference ‘Gender equality and legislation: problems and challenges’, Athens, 4 July 2013 (Centre for European Constitutional Law), presentation titled: ‘Assessment of the effectiveness of legislation on gender equality’
- Symposium of the Academy for Legislation on ‘The quality of EU legislation’, the Hague, 17 October 2013, presentation titled: ‘Effectiveness as an aspect of quality of EU legislation: is it feasible?’
- Commonwealth Association of Legislative Counsel (CALC) 2013 Conference ‘30 Years of the Winds of Change in Legislative Drafting’, Cape Town 10-12 April 2013 presentation titled ‘Effectiveness as an ‘aid’ to legislative drafting’
- M. Mousmouti, ‘Greece’ (Book chapter) in H. Xanthaki, U. Karpen (Eds) Legislation in Europe Vol.2 (Hart forthcoming )
- M. Mousmouti, Policy Paper: Gender-sensitive Post-Legislative Scrutiny, Westminster Foundation for Democracy, July 2020
- M. Mousmouti, Case study 1: Gender-sensitive Post-Legislative Scrutiny of general legislation, Westminster Foundation for Democracy, July 2020
- M. Mousmouti, Case study 2: Post-Legislative Scrutiny of gender-specific legislation, Westminster Foundation for Democracy, August 2020
- M. Mousmouti, Case study 3: Data and gender-sensitive post-legislative scrutiny, Westminster Foundation for Democracy, August 2020
- M. Mousmouti, ‘Designing Effective Legislation’ (book) (2019), Edward Elgar Publishers
- M. Mousmouti, ‘Multi-level lawmaking and Better Regulation in the European Union: a critical approach’ (Book chapter) in Patricia Popelier, Helen Xanthaki, William Robinson, João Tiago Silveira, Felix Uhlmann (Eds) Lawmaking in Multi-level Settings: Legislative Challenges in Federal Systems and the European Union (Nomos Verlag, 2019) 93-112
- M. Mousmouti, Operationalising effectiveness of legislation: unfolding the effectiveness test’ (2019) 3 European Journal of Risk and Regulation 445-465
- M. Mousmouti, ‘Law, human rights and the New Urban Agenda: pure rhetoric or an opportunity for legislative reform?’ in N,. Davidson & G. Tewari (Eds), Law and the New urban Agenda (book chapter), Routledge 2020
- M. Mousmouti, ‘Evaluation as a real life measure of legislation’ in KLRI-IAL Conference Proceedings 2017
- Claire van Overdijk, Maria Mousmouti and Haris Meidanis, Chapter 37: Greece, international protection of Adults, Oxford University Press, March 2015 (Book Chapter)
- M. Mοusmouti/C. Christopoulou, Compatibility study of Greek Legislation with the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities, National Confederation of People with Disabilities (in Greek), 2015, http://esamea.gr/legal-framework/symbasn-ohe/39-publications/books-studies?tmpl=component
- M. Mousmouti, Effectiveness as an Aspect of Quality of EU Legislation: Is it Feasible? (2014) 2:3, The Theory and Practice of Legislation, 309-327
- M. Mousmouti et al, ‘Protecting Victims’ Rights in the EU: the theory and practice of diversity of treatment during the criminal trial’
- M. Mousmouti & G. Crispi, “Good” Legislation as a Means of Ensuring Voice, Accountability, and the Delivery of Results in Urban Development’, World Bank Law Review 2014, accessible at: http://elibrary.worldbank.org/doi/book/10.1596/978-1-4648-0378-9?chapterTab=true
- C. van Overdijk, M. Mousmouti & H. Meidanis, Chapter 37: Greece, International Protection of Adults, Oxford University Press, March 2015
- M. Mousmouti, The “effectiveness test” as a tool for law reform, IALS Student Law Review, Volume 2, Issue 1, Autumn 2014, accessible at: http://journals.sas.ac.uk/lawreview/article/view/2116/2047
- Regioplan, Study on Mobility, Migration and Destitution in the European Union, (Chapter on Greece), accessible at: http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1061&langId=en
- M. Mousmouti, ‘Effectiveness as an ‘aid’ to legislative drafting’, The Loophole 2014 (2)
- M. Mousmouti, Operationalising Quality of Legislation through the Effectiveness Test (2012), Legisprudence, 6:2, 191-205
- M. Mousmouti (ed), The Greek Constitutions and their History (Centre for European Constitutional Law 2012)
Latest Publications in SAS-Space for Maria
- Mousmouti, Maria (2014) The “effectiveness test” as a tool for law reform. IALS Student Law Review, 2 (1).