2021 Advanced Course on Post-Legislative Scrutiny
02 Jul 2021, 09:00 to 30 Jul 2021, 11:30
Online Workshop (Zoom)
The Institute of Advanced Legal Studies of the University of London (IALS-UoL) and the Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) are happy to announce the launch of the Advanced Certified Course on Post-Legislative Scrutiny.
The Advanced course on Post-Legislative Scrutiny explores in-depth the theory and practice of post-legislative scrutiny as an oversight tool. The course adopts a holistic outlook that places post-legislative scrutiny in the legislative cycle.
The course will apply post-legislative scrutiny as a scrutiny tool for gender issues and legislation in key sectors like the environment/climate change or corruption.
- Members of Parliament and senior staff of parliaments worldwide
- WFD staff, parliamentary development practitioners, legal and governance experts
- Academics and researchers from universities in the UK and beyond
Delivery of the course:
- The course will be delivered online using synchronous and a-synchronous methods.
- The course will include online presentations, question & answer sessions, individual or group tasks and presentations from participants.
- Participants will have limited access to a dedicated virtual learning environment where course materials will be available.
- The course will be offered in the English language. All lectures and course materials will be in English.
Content of the course
The course will cover a number of topics related to the theory and practice of post-legislative scrutiny, including:
Scrutiny across the legislative cycle
Triggers of scrutiny: monitoring, review and sunset clauses
Gender-sensitive post-legislative scrutiny
Post-legislative scrutiny of environment and climate change legislation
Post-legislative scrutiny of corruption legislation
Post-legislative scrutiny of emergency legislation
From ex-post scrutiny to new legislation
- Course speakers will include academics and practitioners from the fields of law, legislative studies, governance, gender, corruption and environmental studies.
Timing of the Course
The Advanced Course will take place during the month of July 2021 in online format. It will be delivered every Monday and Friday of the month July, on the following dates: July 2, 5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26 and 30. Each session will be half-day (9.00 – 11.30 AM – UK times).
Participants who follow the entire course will receive a certificate by the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies of the University of London.
Registration and Fees:
• Full Fee: £650.00.
• Early Bird Fee (until 30 April 2021); £550.00
Participants should register online (via the 'Book Now' button below and pay by card.
Reduced fee for participants from Official Development Assistance (ODA)-recipients and staff of WFD, DFID, FCO, Westminster Parliament and the devolved assemblies in the UK
• Reduced fee: £450.00.
• Early bird reduced fee (until 30 April 2021): £375.00
BOOKING INSTRUCTIONS for WFD staff and participants from WFD partner parliaments:
Participants should register online (via the 'Book Now' button below) and then complete the attached Booking Form and New Account Form, available here and email it to Fiona Ferdinand at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies - Email: Fiona.Ferdinand@sas.ac.uk Note: All invoices must be paid by 1 June 2021.
Staff of WFD, DFID, FCO, Westminster Parliament and the devolved assemblies in the UK who apply for the reduced fee need to email a document of proof of employment along with the booking and customer forms.
Details about how to join the virtual event will be circulated via email to registered attendees closer to the event date.
ContactIALS Events Office
020 7862 5800