In addition to its own institutional archive, the IALS Archive holds archive material of various organisations and individuals connected to legal education. The complete list of collections is below; click each link to learn more about the collection and access the catalogue.
Please remember to cite any material you consult in your research outputs and use the following standard citation model:
[description of item], [name of archive collection], [exact reference], IALS Archives, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies.
Examinations performance records 1861-1957, Council of Legal Education Archive, A.CLE 11/11 M1920-M1922 No 11, IALS Archives, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies.
BIALL: British and Irish Association of Law Librarians
BCO: General Council of the Bar
IALL: International Association of Law Libraries
IALS: Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
MOYS: Elizabeth (Betty) Moys’ Publications and Files relating to Law Librarianship
RLEA: Records of Legal Education Archives
The Records of Legal Education Archives (RLEA) was established at IALS in 1998. It was created as an outcome of the Records of Legal Education Project, one of the aims of which was to collect, maintain and make available for research, records of legal education where the creating/controlling agency was unable to make any alternative archival provision. The records of the project itself are held in the IALS Archives (ref: RLEP). The original Guide to the Records of Legal Education Archives, compiled in 1998 by Clare Cowling, the Project co-ordinator, is available here. The RLEA and its collections (listed below) have since been subsumed into the IALS Archives.
- ILA: ILA: International Law Association Archive
- ALT: Association of Law Teachers
- BARR: Barrow Inquiry Papers
- CHULS: Committee of Heads of University Law Schools
- CLEA: Commonwealth Legal Education Association
- CLRP: Commonwealth Legal Records Project
- CLE: Council of Legal Education
- MARSH: Dr S Marsh's papers
- IALSLIB: IALS Library manuscript material relating to legal education and research
- LSOC: Law Society: Examination Records
- LSRG: Legal Skills Research Group Papers
- ACLEC: Lord Chancellor's Advisory Committee on Legal Education and Conduct: press cuttings
- READ: Professor James S Read's papers
- TWIN: Professor William L Twining's papers
- RLEP: Records of Legal Education Project
- SALS: Society for Advanced Legal Studies
- SPTL: Society of Public Teachers of Law (now Society of Legal Scholars)
- SLSA: Socio-Legal Studies Association
- SCLE: Standing Conference on Legal Education Minutes
- UKNCCL: United Kingdom National Committee of Comparative Law
The Library also manages the web archive of the UK Centre for Legal Education (UKCLE).
Some of our collections can also be searched on the Senate House Libraries archives catalogue.