Westlaw International Materials (IM) contains legal publications and documentation relating to the United States, Canada, Australia and a few other jurisdictions. It also has international law content.
For UK legal research, see Westlaw UK.
Westlaw IM is available on-site to all academic members of IALS Library.
Remote access is restricted to IALS staff, IALS fellows and IALS students (using Shibboleth, same ID and password as for StudyOnline / the IALS computer network). Other library users should check with their own college or university library about remote access to Westlaw.
Westlaw IM includes the following material (not an exhaustive list):-
- federal and some state cases
- a few journals and one book
- federal and provincial legislation
- federal and provincial cases, with KeyCite Canada citator
- substantial collections of journals and books
- International cases: see Administrative Materials or International Arbitration Materials, on IM homepage (or search for name of court/tribunal).
- Journals of international law: many are included in World Journals (on IM homepage), but others appear only in the US or Canadian journal collections.
- Administrative Materials – Multinational - International Economic Law Documents/International Environmental Law Documents
- US Treaties: search for United States Treaties (or see: U.S. Materials - Administrative Decisions & Guidance - All Federal Administrative Decisions… - Department of State)
- EU international agreements are under European Union – Legislation; ‘The Treaties’ (TFEU, etc.) are under European Union – European Union Treaties.
United States (via ‘U.S. Materials’ link, to the right of the Westlaw IM homepage)
- federal and state legislation
- federal and state cases, with KeyCite citator
- large collections of books and encyclopedias, including Corpus Juris Secundum
- a large collection of journals
Westlaw IM also has content from Hong Kong, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore and elsewhere.
For best results, use connectors (and, or, etc.) between search terms, e.g:
"human rights" and culture
To search US content only, click on ‘U.S. Materials’ (right-hand side of IM page).
On the IM home page, you can search ‘International Materials’ (the default, meaning non-US content), or switch to searching to ‘All Content’ (US and non-US) using the drop-down menu. Alternatively, select a jurisdiction or other option, e.g. Canada, Cases, or World Journals.
If you enter the name of a publication or collection, e.g. Harvard Law Review or International Court of Justice Decisions in the IM search box, then select it and search within it.
To find a known case or article, enter search by citation, e.g. 22 F.Supp. 388, or 41 Sydney L. Rev. 73.
An Advanced search page is also available, via a link next to the main search facility.
Printing, saving and emailing
Click on the envelope icon (top-right) to save, print or email a document.
Westlaw IM’s Advanced search page gives details of connectors and truncation symbols.
User guides are available via the ‘Training and Support’ link at the bottom of page on Westlaw IM.
IALS Library provides Westlaw guides which are tailored to the IALS subscription: see Quick Guides to Key Databases.