Professor Carl Stychin
Doctor of Laws, University of Reading, United Kingdom, 2009; Master of Laws, Columbia University, United States, 1992; Juris Doctor (with honours), University of Toronto, Canada, 1988; Bachelor of Arts (with distinction), University of Alberta, Canada, 1985
IALS - 5th Floor
Tel: +020 7862 5884
Professor Stychin is best known for his research on law, gender and sexuality, and he has published three monographs, co-edited three collections, and published numerous articles in the field. In addition, he has longstanding interests in tort law and in law and popular culture. He edited a student 'text and materials' collection (four editions, the last three of which were co-edited with Professor Linda Mulcahy) on Legal Methods and Systems. He remains the editor of Social & Legal Studies: An International Journal, a position which he has held for many years.
In 2014, Professor Stychin was made a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in recognition of his contribution to the socio-legal study of gender and sexuality. He is a former Chair of the Committee of Heads of UK Law Schools (CHULS).
- Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences
- Non-Executive Member, Board of Governance, Nelson College London
- Non-Executive Director, NCUK (Northern Consortium) Ltd
- Lay Member of the Governance Board, Patent Examination Board, Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys
- Independent Education Advisor, Costs Lawyer Standards Board
- Lay Educational Visitor, General Optical Council
- Accreditation & Recognition Panel Lay Member, General Pharmaceutical Council