- Guidelines on drafting your research proposal (PDF)
- Guidance on Research Ethics
- Guidance on Research Training
- How to get a PhD in Law Training Days
- IALS Library services for IALS research students
- IALS Research Student Conference Fund
- School of Advanced Study Research Ethics Policy (video)
- School of Advanced Study Student forms and documents
- PhD FAQs(PDF)
IALS Research Student Conference Fund
Purpose of the Fund
The principal aim of the Research Student Conference Fund is to facilitate research promotion at national and international levels. The Fund is intended to support PGR students to present their graduate research work in national and international conferences.
In order to apply to this Fund, you must:
- Be a graduate research student, namely a student registered for MPhil or PhD study at IALS;
- have a paper accepted for presentation at a national or international conference which is endorsed by your supervisor as crucial for your research study.
Further details about the Fund, including the application form, are available in this document:
Research Degree Examinations: Information for Students
The PhD Examination Entry form should be submitted 4 - 6 months ahead of your thesis submission. This gives your Supervisor sufficient time to nominate your Examiners and to set a date for your viva.
All forms may be obtained from the School of Advanced Study website. Please have your login ready. If you are unsure of login details, please contact the IALS Student Administrator for details of how to obtain the forms.
Please make sure that your supervisor has signed the form and submit it together with the Description of Thesis form, and the Reproduction of Thesis form to your Student Administrator/Postgraduate Student Officer.
Once you are ready to submit, please make sure you have read the Instructions for Submission and Binding your Theses before sending your theses to be bound. (List of binders).
For information on preparing for the viva, please see: What can I do to prepare for my viva?
Research Degree Examinations: Information for Supervisors
When you are happy that your student is almost ready to submit their thesis, you will need to think about nominating the Examiners and setting a date for the Viva.
Guidance for Examiners on the Conduct of Examinations
The Examiner Nomination form should be completed and sent together with the nominees CVs to the Registrar, Room 248, South Block, Senate House, Malet Street, London. WC1E 7HU.